Frequently Asked Questions
You have questions, we have answers…
Which audio system is right for me?
There are a lot of variables to answer this question.
- Is your home/cottage a new build or existing? Types of systems can quickly be ruled out depending on how easy or difficult it might be to get wires to rooms or speaker locations.
- What music streaming service do you use? ie. Apple Music, Spotify, Tidal, Deezer. There are many to choose from, and not all are available on each platform. The most commonly available on most systems are Spotify, Tidal and Deezer. Apple music so far is only available as a built in source with Sonos.
- Type of controls? Most people these days simply operate there audio system from their smart phone or tablet. While this does work very well, sometimes a dedicated wall mounted touch panel or keypad can make operation easier and more convenient. This is especially true if your phone dies, you left it in another room, or for guests who want to listen to music, but aren’t on your wifi or don’t have the app.
- Budget? Are you an audiophile and need the highest quality speakers and a system capable of streaming Hi-RES music?
What wireless systems do you offer?
We offer Sonos, Denon HEOS, DTS Play-Fi, and Yamaha MusicCast.
What is the difference in these wireless systems?
While they all sound great and offer various speaker options, the difference comes down to available streaming services, audio quality and the user interface. As mentioned previously Apple Music is currently only available as a built in source on Sonos. Denon HEOS, DTS Play-Fi and Yamaha MusicCast are all able to play Hi-Res music, which Sonos cannot. DTS Play-fi is fairly unique in it’s approach to a wireless system. DTS Play-Fi is available on from various manufacturers such as Paradigm, Klipsch, Polk, Soundcast, McIntosh, Martin Logan, Definitive Technology and more. This allows you to mix and match speaker brands to your liking while all still working together through the Play-Fi app. So if one brand doesn’t have a soundbar that fits your needs, one of the others likely does.
What options are there for wired systems?
The sky’s the limit here. Some of the wired systems we offer are from ELAN, SpeakerCraft and CasaTunes. Of course each of the wireless players offer amps that can be used to create a wired whole home system. Denon HEOS is the most notable in this regard. They have created two options in the HEOS Drive, a 4 zone amplifier and streamer, and the HEOS SuperLink, a multi-zone streamer (no built in amp so a dedicated amp needs to be purchased as well) along side their HEOS Amp and Link (each single zone).
What TV brands do you offer?
We can provide Samsung, Sony, Sunbrite (outdoor TV), Peerless (outdoor TV) and LG commercial displays.
What is home automation?
Home automation is networking as many of your devices together to provide you with seamless control over all aspects of our home and more. Home automation has been around from many decades in terms of lighting and simple appliance control. Only recently has technology caught up to the idea of the interconnected world, allowing full control of your home from anywhere, to become a reality.
With home automation, you dictate how, when and why a device such as a light, blinds or thermostat does something. You set the schedule and the rest is automated and based off of your personal preferences thus providing convenience, control, money savings, and an overall smarter home. Home automation can also alert you to events that you might want to know about right-away while you are gone like water leaks and unexpected access to your home. At any time, you can grab your mobile device or other remote control and change the settings in your house as desired.
Where do I start?
- What’s your level of comfort with technology? Some smart devices still require some level of technical proficiency and desire to use technology. If you’re not tech savvy, stick to the basics such as a smart thermostat, locks or lighting until you get more comfortable and want to expand.
- Various levels of automation can be found at all price points. Decide how much you’re willing to spend.
- The devices available offer various options and not all are going to be right for you. Consider your lifestyle, what music streaming service you use, what mobile device you use. Not all with work (or work best) with all systems. Provided this information, we can help steer you in the right direction.
What are the benefits of a custom integrator over a retailer?
Custom integrators (CI) offer far more after sale support than a big box store will. As a CI, we will perform an on-site evaluation and provide advice to help in your decision making. We will do the full installation of your product and optimize it to your home or business. When we hand you the controls there is no guess work as we will provide a full tutorial on the system that was installed so you know how to use it.
Generally speaking, the sales staff at retail chains have very limited knowledge of the products they are selling and quite often are required to promote certain products, even if they aren’t the best for your needs.